What should the default forum style be?

Video game modding subjects.

Which style should Moddingham.com default to for new and unregistered users?

1978 (Green)

36%

1978 (Amber)

7%

1978 (White)

No votes

No votes

Flat Style Green

7%

proDVGFX

50%

Other (Tell us below!)

No votes

Total votes: 14

dagoba_king
Site Admin
Site Admin

What should the default forum style be?

Post by dagoba_king »

For those that don't know: You can change to a different visual theme for this forum in the Board Preferences section of your User Control Panel.

Personally, I like the 1978 Green theme the site currently defaults to. But, I wouldn't be offended if most others prefer a different one.

If you don't like any of the options, here is a database of all options that can be installed. If you like one of these, please point it out in comments! https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2

M1sf3t
Corporal
Corporal

Re: What should the default forum style be?

Post by M1sf3t »

Not that I don't like the retro hacker look but it's probably a little too niche to be the default for general users. Being able to choose from multiple options in preferences is never a bad thing tho.

CG!

Post by CG! »

it's certainly an aquired taste so it shouldn't be the default.

DoctaSax
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by DoctaSax »

I went with proDVGX but could've gone for Flat Green. The only thing I hold against that one is that it doesn't scale across my entire screen in the way DVGX does.

dagoba_king
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dagoba_king »

The people have spoken and I've changed the default theme to proDVGX.

I'm reserving the right to re-examine this poll in a few weeks in case a flood of people show up demanding the 1978 green again. :wink:

Hanaxar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanaxar »

I really liked 1978 green. It's very fallouty. Looks like a pipboy screen. Since the default one became prodvgx today I switched to that. And I noticed my post on downloads looks weird with that style. I guess I have to stick to the default style and edit the layout and colors of the post.

CG!

Post by CG! »

The green one was in tone with the game and AAF's theme but i got rather specific feedback if it driving users away.
So it's better to have the user choose it, if they want it, using a more streamlined default.

dagoba_king
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dagoba_king »

Hanaxar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:50 pm

I really liked 1978 green. It's very fallouty. Looks like a pipboy screen. Since the default one became prodvgx today I switched to that. And I noticed my post on downloads looks weird with that style. I guess I have to stick to the default style and edit the layout and colors of the post.

Yeah. I feel like 1978 worked within the stale old forum structure in a fun way.

I'm going to install a few other styles I've seen in passing today to see if I can find a handful that work well together with switching.

dagoba_king
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dagoba_king »

Ok. So, I found and tested a few additional styles.

If I am reading the public's response to proDVGX correctly, I believe that proSilver Dark Edition covers the same bases. But, is also a cleaner, more modern look imo. So I set it as the default.

Anyone that liked the 1978 theme can still switch back to it in their preferences.

Let me know if there was something you really liked about proDVGX over "Dark Edition". I'm open to adding it back. But, to be honest, I was having a design crisis looking at it personally. :biggrin:

Hanaxar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanaxar »

Yup. We have handful of styles and users have options, that's nice really. I think this default style (pro silver dark edition) looks nice and modern. When users use different styles, they have to remember to check their posts on default style if they have fancy and colorful texts. :)