custom fonts compatibility

Video game modding subjects.

psychotic29a
Corporal
Corporal

custom fonts compatibility

Post by psychotic29a »

Hi

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section.

Is there any way to make AAF compatible with custom fonts? The oneI have is modofonto (FO3 font) but I guess the issue is more general than that. I've seen many people asking for help about it on discord but the only solution provided was to uninstall the font.

I don't expect anyone to do it for me. I'm willing to learn :) and do some modding work, I just need some hints and directions. I searched the AAF files (including .esm in FO4Edit) for anything UI-related but found nothing. I compared the vanilla and modofonto versions of fonts_en.swf file, but couldn't find any obvious differences.

Maybe AAF could be made to use a custom-specified fonts_en.swf file? Then we could simply use the vanilla one from Beth's ba2 archive.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

dagoba_king
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: custom fonts compatibility

Post by dagoba_king »

psychotic29a wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section.

Is there any way to make AAF compatible with custom fonts? The oneI have is modofonto (FO3 font) but I guess the issue is more general than that. I've seen many people asking for help about it on discord but the only solution provided was to uninstall the font.

I don't expect anyone to do it for me. I'm willing to learn :) and do some modding work, I just need some hints and directions. I searched the AAF files (including .esm in FO4Edit) for anything UI-related but found nothing. I compared the vanilla and modofonto versions of fonts_en.swf file, but couldn't find any obvious differences.

Maybe AAF could be made to use a custom-specified fonts_en.swf file? Then we could simply use the vanilla one from Beth's ba2 archive.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Are you using this custom font already with the vanilla UI?

It has been a while since I worked with this part of the files. But, IIRC I wasn't able to get AAF to use the games shared font swf. Possibly due to security settings for loaded swf files (ie preventing them from accessing shared resources). So, I embedded the vanilla fonts into the AAF swf.

psychotic29a
Corporal
Corporal

Post by psychotic29a »

I'm using this font with FallUI and Immersive HUD, and it works fine everywhere except AAF.

I checked my installation of AAF and there aren't any swf files there. Tried reinstalling it but no swf either. I'm using version 161.1beta of AAF. I checked the older versions and they had some swf files, but not the newest one.

EDIT: I found version 166 here on the forum (I got 161 from Nexus) and updated, but nothing changed.

Last edited by psychotic29a on Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dagoba_king
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dagoba_king »

psychotic29a wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:58 am

I'm using this font with FallUI and Immersive HUD, and it works fine everywhere except AAF.

I checked my installation of AAF and there aren't any swf files there. Tried reinstalling it but no swf either. I'm using version 161.1beta of AAF. I checked the older versions and they had some swf files, but not the newest one.

EDIT: I found version 166 here on the forum (I got 161 from Nexus) and updated, but nothing changed.

AAF couldn't run without the swf file. Nearly the entire mod is in it.

I don't have nearly enough technical information about how custom fonts are being applied to FallUI, etc. to assess this. I could make font modules for AAF that change it. But, those would be one-off options for each font and it raises issues regarding font licensing, etc. Is that what the structure of custom fonts for FallUI is?